*This piece expresses the opinions of a number of brothers who want to reach out to their sister
Sisters know that although brothers may not be so expressive, there are a number of things they feel when it comes to their love for them. Every year Hindu siblings celebrate their love during Raksha Bandhan. It is the occasion where sisters and brothers both share their love in form of an Indian tradition. We might not need any sort of custom, but it is about time our brothers’ share the things that we want to tell their sisters:
1) Don’t let people tell you that your honour lies in your scarf, or dupatta.
You should decide how the world should honour you. You know how to maintain your honour.
2) Although your friends might comment how pretty you look on your recent display picture, I know how ugly you are in *ehem* reality *ehem* without makeup.
So don’t be so happy over some fake beauty that you call make up (*evil smile*)
3) Hate acknowledging this fact but since this article is about you it is only fair that you should know that you are were my first best friend.
4) I wish we could still have those late night talks over stupid things.
Those were the days I miss the most. Now we are just too busy.
5) I’m loving the fact that you’ll get married and go away, giving your entire room to me.
However, know that I would miss you as you know how to handle mom and dad.
6) Thank you for all those times I sneaked out of the house to hang out with my friends while you covered for me.
7) I really don’t understand the decisions you make in your life.
I call them senseless but that is okay. You have grown up now, and I believe that whatever you decide is the best for you. As long as you are happy I do not care if it makes sense or not.
8) You should know that you can always rely on me.
Although you will put me in trouble sometimes, you can always tell me your stories without getting judged or commented upon.
9) Moreover, we both know each other’s dark little secrets, prepubescent ugliness and even the phase of evolving into cool people during college or university.
That adds to how close we are.
10) Know that when you find an unprotected remote resting silently on a sofa, I will always be there to leap at it before you, even if it kills you.
Also, I do miss the times when we used to wrestle like WWE wrestlers.
12) Oh and one more thing, you’re adopted and mom picked you up from a nearby park.
You were on a swing all alone.