If you think our cricket stars have nothing to hide, well, then you’ve got something else coming for you. Amid the selfies, poor performances and “ap koi ghatiya sawaal hi puchenge”, lie a sack full of secrets.
Here are some of the most notorious scandals Pakistani cricketers have been involved in till date.
1. Moin Khan caught in the Casino during the ICC World Cup 2015
With Pakistan’s dismal show in the World Cup 15′, Chief Selector Moin Khan was spotted at a casino in New Zealand – the scandal led to apologies and a close call for the wicket keeper.
2. Shoaib Malik’s first wife could fit 2 Sania Mirza’s inside her
Ayesha Siddiqui, the women who claimed to be Shoaib Malik’s first wife, came to the stage with the notion stating that she married The Karachi King’s captain on June 3, 2003.
3. When Umar Akmal faked an injury so he didn’t have to play
Umar Akmal was alleged to faking an injury by the Hindustan Times, to save his brother Kamran Akmal’s spot in the first team. The scans and tests on his leg revealed no damage at all.
4. That one time when Umar Akmal literally beat the shit out of a traffic warden
Mr. 2 percent Umar Akmal loves staying in the headline. Be it for fake injuries, ugly selfies, Bollywood shirts or beating traffic wardens in Lahore. In February, 2014, Akmal was jailed for scuffling and beating a traffic police officer.
5. That time when Lala felt hungry on field and decided to eat the cricket ball
January, 2010, Pakistan’s ODI against Australia – Rana Naveed-ul-Hasan bowls to the tail-enders. Meanwhile, Shahid Khan Afridi feels hungry and decided to bite the ball in front of the camera. Basically, tampering with the mouth. Naughty Lala.
6. Our Buffalo boy Nasir Jamshed was once jailed because he cheated on his exams..
Yes, you read it correct, Nasir Jamshed was jailed for cheating on his exams – that too.. in grade 9th. We now know why he hates English so much. He was later released on a 20,000 rs bail. Shabaaaa Nasir!
7. Veena Malik aur Muhammad Asif umeed se thay
That time when Pakistan’s undercover ISI agent (oops), Veena Malik, claimed she had married Muhammad Asif and also bought him a Toyota Prado from her own money – which she wanted back.
8. When the no-ball trio were to play no-more-cricket
The worst of the lot and the most famous scandal, November 2011, series against England – our young guns succumbed to the smell of fresh pounds and dollars.
9. Veteran Saleem Malik was also jailed for match-fixing
In early 2000, Pakistan’s veteran cricketer Saleem Malik was jailed for match fixing and became the first cricketer ever to be involved in such a scandal (Yes, Pakistan!).
10. Girls, drugs, booze and a beach in Grenada
In 1993, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Maulana Mushtaq Ahmed and Aqib Javed were held up by the Grenada Police in West Indies. The bowling quadruple were caught with drugs, alcohol and potential escorts.
11. Veteran cricketer Ijaz Ahmed was once jailed for forgery
In March 2009, Ijaz Ahmed was jailed for forgery. He issued a cheque worth Rs. 1 crore that bounced, just like the ball used to bounce from his bat.
12. Worst of the lot, Moin Khan jailed for beating his wife..
January 2007, Pakistan legendary wicket-keeper was the highlight of the news. This time, he was arrested by Clifton police for beating his wife and mother of two, Tasneem Khan. He was released on a promise that he would never fall so shallow again.
And now you know, what our not-so-innocent Pakistani cricketers had been up to.