As the summers get hotter, especially in Sindh, it is our due to diligence to take care of ourselves and people around us. First and foremost, the most important thing right now is to stay as hydrated as one can, along with finding a cool place to rest in. If these steps aren’t taken, the outcome can be extremely dangerous.
A very young student from the NED University of Engineering and Technology lost his precious life due to the weather and the conditions he had been living in. Sheikh Wafa Hussain, a boy from Sukkur, Sindh, who was living in the hostel of the NED university, died while on his way to his hometown.
As per reports, Sheikh Wafa Hussain had been living in the NED university hostel and due to the absence of electricity and lack of water supplies, Sheikh Wafa fell terminally ill. As soon as he gathered enough strength, he left to meet his mother in Sukkur. However, his body could not take the toll of things and he gave in.
The reason for his unprecedented death, indeed, is the heatstroke. As per a cousin of the deceased, Wafa was on his way to Sukkur and during the traveling, the heatstroke triggered which had already taken a toll on him from the hostel. He started fading away near Hyderabad, inside the coach he was traveling in. The driver of the coach then handed Wafa over to the Motorway Police, who took him to a hospital in Matiyari. Sadly, that’s where Wafa breathed his last.
Sheikh Wafa Hussain, a young student of NED University, lost his life to #HeatStroke.
There was no water & electricity in his hostel for 3 days straight plus this hell of a weather.
A human has LOST his LIFE to Heat Stroke!
Please, go through this: https://t.co/UV6M8leU9i pic.twitter.com/UafiR9u21C
— Kachi Sharaab (@NimraKay) May 19, 2018
As per some family reports, Wafa was a fully fit and healthy person, with no diseases or conditions that could have been triggered by the heat. However, it is pertinent to add here that this case is a prime example of how detrimental this weather can be and it is our due diligence and responsibility to take care of ourselves and the ones who cannot afford their own help in this condition.
— Kachi Sharaab (@NimraKay) May 3, 2018
Necessary measures and precautions for heatstroke
“1. If you think a person may be experiencing heatstroke, seek immediate medical help OR call local emergency services number or reach nearby clinic and hospital.
2. Take immediate action to cool the overheated person while waiting for emergency treatment.
3. Get the person into shade or indoors.
4. Remove excess clothing and uncover ( as appropriate )
5. Cool the person with whatever means available — put in a cool tub of water or a cool shower, spray with a garden hose, sponge with cool water, fan while misting with cool water, or place ice packs or cold, wet towels on the person’s head, neck, armpits and groin.
6. If you are fasting and you fall ill , and do not feel good , please don’t delay and urgently report to nearby hospital and follow doctors advice
7.. Try to avoid going outside in hot sunny day which is unnecessary and not wanted
8. If possible ,Cover your head with a cloth when you are directly exposed to sun in hot summer
9. Those people who are patients specially diabetes, hypertension , ischemic heart diseases and others should consult their doctors if they wish to observe fasting” – Dr. Mujeeb Rehman, Mayo Clinic.