Despite the appeal of the Sindh government to stay at homes due to coronavirus outbreak, people in large numbers can be seen at various spots of Karachi. The number of coronavirus cases has been surging and Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah is in a lot of pressure to tackle the situation.
As per the latest report, the Gulshan-e-Iqbal locality is the most-affected area from the COVID-19 virus. A report released Thursday by the Sindh health department revealed the most to least affected areas of Karachi.
Of all the cases in Karachi, 122 coronavirus cases have been recorded in Gulshan-e-Iqbal. Saddar is at second place with 109 cases.
Take a look at the list of areas getting affected by the coronavirus.
- Gulshan-e-Iqbal – 122 cases
- Saddar Town – 104 cases
- North Nazimabad – 53 cases
- Jamshed Town – 44 cases
- Liaquatabad Town – 26 cases
- North Karachi – 25 cases
- Malir Town – 22 cases
- Shah Faisal Town – 17 cases
- Orangi – 15 cases
- Gulberg – 15 cases
- Bin Qasim Town – 14 cases
- Kemari and SITE area – 7 cases
- Lyari – 4 cases
Gender-wise, the breakdown showed 70% of the patients were men and 30% women.
Karachiites defy lockdown orders
Moreover, the increasing cases of coronavirus can be a result of defying lockdown orders by the Sindh government. Some frustrated citizens are now getting out of their homes, risking their and others’ lives.
On Thursday, even a traffic jam was reported at Shahra-e-Faisal, Garibabad, Drigh Road and other roads of the metropolis. Ambulance drivers also found difficulty in reaching hospitals.
Earlier this week, Sindh CM on Tuesday had directed the law enforcement authorities to implement the strict lockdown in the province.
“I want a strict lockdown in place as it happened during the first seven days of the shutdown.”
According to Shah, the coronavirus figures from the province have raised serious concerns. He also appealed to the people of the province to remain indoors.
Will Sindh extend lockdown?
Furthermore, coronavirus has hit the slums areas as well as at least 92 cases were reported in those areas of the province on Thursday.
Reacting on the news, CM Shah expressed deep worry while talking to the media. He claimed the Sindh government wanted to extend the lockdown by a week. However, he said, any decision about an extension would be made in consultation with the federal government.
“Pressure is being mounted on us to lift the lockdown, but we want to extend it by a week,” he stated.
“I was afraid of the day when the virus will start spreading in slum areas as people in these settlements live in small houses with large families,” said Sindh SM.
Even if the lockdown lifted, added the provincial chief minister, life won’t be the same. The government will issue new standard operating procedures (SOPs) for every sector in the post-lockdown period.
“We are not living on an island but in places frequented by people from other cities, provinces and countries, to which we travel as well. Therefore, social distancing is the only way to keep ourselves safe and secure,” he remarked.
What do you think about the story? Tell us in the comment section below.