When you’re living abroad and settling into a new place, there are a thousand problems you’ll face, you might find some reservations when it comes to transport, for instance. You have to follow certain schedules if you use local public transport. And as a matter of fact, if you use a car for commuting, you need to make sure if the country lets you do so on Pakistan’s license.
But don’t worry. Here is all you need to know about an IDP – International Driving Permit. Which will help you drive without getting a new license made.
An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a document of identification that allows you to drive a private motor vehicle in any country, mentioned below, that recognizes IDPs. However, to be authentic, the IDP must be accompanied by a valid driving license.
19 Countries that Accept International Driving Permit
4- United Arab Emirates
10- Hong Kong
Why Should You Carry an International Driving Permit While Driving Outside Pakistan?
When you have your IDP, it becomes a valid form of identification that has your name, your picture, and your driving information in about the 12 most spoken languages of the world and is acceptable in more than 150 countries worldwide. This will help overcome the language barrier and most of the local officials and authorities of all the countries that you visit.
For instance, the International Driving Permit – IDP speaks for you, being in 12 languages.
Documents Needed for an International Driving Permit
- A copy of Pakistani Driving license (issued by Islamabad Traffic Police)
- Copy of CNIC of applicant
- Copy of valid Passport along with valid Visa
- Residential proof in Islamabad
- Driving stamp of Rs 30 by Post Office
- Above all, the applicant must appear himself/herself for submitting the required documents
- You are required to adopt the same procedure for renewal
Process to Apply
- Firstly, complete your documents as mentioned in the above section
- Get a token and wait for your turn
- Data entry
- Submit all the documents to the concerned person
- Obtain an e-receipt after paying a necessary fee that is mentioned in the information box
- (We will process your application)
- Collect your IDP on the date mentioned on the e-receipt
From Where and How Much?
After you’ve gathered all the documents, you will have to visit the Citizen Facilitation Centre, located at G-11/4 Sector Islamabad, and submit them with the processing fee.
For normal procession – Rs 350/- which will take about a week or two.
For urgent procession – Rs 1050/- which will take a few days.
Timings of Citizen Facilitation Center
- The Citizen Facilitation Center remains open five days a week from Monday to Friday. However, its timings may vary as from Monday to Thursday, the documents can be submitted from 09:00 am to 01:00 pm while the delivery process continues from 09:00 am to 03:00 pm.
- But on Friday, the submission and delivery process is carried out from 09:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Question 1: Can I obtain an IDP if my Driving License is from another Province/Territory?
Answer 1: Yes, the following additional documents must be attached:
Computerized Driving License
NOC from relevant District Administration
Residential proof in Islamabad
Question 2: What is the procedure for obtaining/renew IDP but if I am outside the country?
Answer 2: There is no such procedure. As a matter of fact, the Applicant must appear himself/herself for Obtaining IDP at Citizen Facilitation Center.
Do you know that women claim to be better drivers than men? What do you think?