The Holy Prophet (PBUH) once said, “Such a woman when her husband sees her; she should please him and when her husband orders her, she should obey him and she should not adopt a manner about her chastity and property which should displace her husband” . The Hadith proves the importance of a husband in the wives’ world, but Islam also tells us the importance and rights of the wives in the husbands’ lives.
Here are some of the rights taken from a reliable Islamic studies book:
1. A husband should help his wife in domestic affairs
2. A husband should selflessly devote himself towards his wife, giving her unconditional love
3. A wife has the right to take Khula (separation) from her husband
4. A woman can remarry after her divorce, or at the death of her husband
5. A husband should not lack in praising the qualities of his wife, in front of her, and in front of others
6. Every husband is responsible for providing his wife with food, clothing and shelter
7. A wife can spend her own earned money without taking permission from the husband or even telling him
8. Women do not have to change their name after marriage
9. A wife should be supplied with proper articles for her adornment and embellishment
10. A husband has no right to stop his wife from visiting her parents’ house or close family, or to keep her at home for no due reason
11. Even though men spend most of their time outside the house, they are cordially obliged to help raise the children with the wife
Thus proven, Islam gives women enough rights as a religion, it is then up to us, as men, to further their rights and help them attain the level of equality they deserve – because it is they who bear much trouble to make our lives happier and more comfortable.
To our women.